HAVE A MERRY MONTESSORI CHRISTMAS !
MONTESSORI COUNTRY DAY ACADEMY CHRISTMAS NEWS DECEMBER 2012
1. As guides in the Montessori classroom we are privileged to see the moment by moment transformation of your child take place. All of the children have effectively mastered various skills in the Practical Life area. For the parents of the Montessori child, a useful way to relate to the experience is to know that there is a direct correlation between the amount of steps involved in doing an exercise and the expansion of the mind. Always keep in mind that the “exercises” themselves are the work of the child. The reason for the child’s work is to construct his or herself, and should not be interrupted. By design, Mathematics is the basis of all Practical Life Exercises and of the imagination. Many of the children have developed the ability to now organize and classify their impressions. This is how the mathematical mind is prepared. The children have begun to develop the ability to discriminate the difference between one thing and another (similarities and differences). The opportunity for order, sequencing making observation experimentation and abstraction are now ready to take place.
2. To reference this observation we speak of the younger children. The older children are being introduced and successfully completing new math and language projects. The afternoon extended day program is proving to be helpful to the child by reinforcing what they have already learned. To have the experience of the day be complete for the child, we also provide a sharing time. This is a time exclusive to the child, to share thoughts and ideas, to tell the story behind the picture they have drawn, or perhaps tell about a discovery or an invention all their own.
Parent Meeting: Wednesday, December 5th, 6:30-8:30 pm. The parent meetings are mandatory, children will not be attending.
Christmas Show: On Friday, December 21st, The Montessori Country Day Academy will proudly present our 2012 Christmas Show and party. It begins promptly at 11:30 a.m. and ends promptly at 1:00 p.m. at which time the children will be dismissed for the holidays. Christmas songs by Granny Franny, and a special presentation on Chinese songs with Ms. Ying.
NOTE: NO AFTERNOON CHILD CARE IS PROVIDED- PLEASE MAKE ARRANGEMENTS TO PICK YOUR CHILD UP PROMPTLY AT 1 PM!
Santa will be handing out gifts to all the “good” boys and girls. To make our holiday more festive, each parent is requested to make a main dish (deserts are additional items only), enough for 8-12 people. Please reference handout for ideas. Please call for food selections. Thank you.
Please be as creative and imaginative as you like, but remember not to add too much spice or sugar — the children will be eating this food also. We would like all parents to attend, and feel free to bring a friend or relative. Sign up sheet will be provided. Thank you.
Conference: Conference times will be scheduled January 14th, 16th, 21st and 23rd (Monday and Wednesday evenings only! 6:00 – 7:30 p.m.) The conference period will last 30 minutes and will be for adults only. There will be a calendar posted (and a sign-up sheet) with available dates and times. Conference times will not be rescheduled. Please jot down any questions or concerns you have.
We will be closed Friday, December 21st, 2012 at 1:00 p.m. following the party. We will re-open Monday, January 1st, 2013 regular hours.
Class Gift Exchange: The class will exchange gifts. The children will draw names. Gifts for the class exchange are to be wrapped and brought in no later than December 17th. Please write the recipient’s name on the gift and place it in the class gift exchange box. Santa will give out the gifts the day of the party. Please remember our gift limit is $10.00. Also – each child does the exchange! If your child may not be at the Christmas Party we will make sure to set their gift aside until they return.
Please remember your teacher and assistants!!! Token gifts only. Goodies to eat are great too!) Also we are accepting donations such as; outside play equipment for the children, (good condition only) all kinds of trucks, riding toys, shovels, buckets, etc. Our book bin will be in the front room – please donate! (Any 1st. Grade Reader Stories)
Parent participation: Anyone who would like to spend 20 minutes on a holiday project with our children, ideas could include: decorating a gingerbread house, any baking project – or perhaps a wonderful Christmas story or another type of Religious celebration to share! Please contact Ms. Peg!
Reminders: Santa is checking his list twice! Be sure you are…
- Sending a warm coat for outside play
- Including Juice in you child’s lunch box
- Remember to bring in two cans of Juicy Juice and computer payment on the 1st of each month
- A regular supply of diapers and wipes and an extra change of clothing (parents of younger children only). – Any donating of play equipment (riding toys, trucks, etc.) please confirm with Ms. Peg.
Inclement Weather: Any days lost because of bad weather or forced closings are already included in the regularly scheduled school year. Please call WDSD or WDOV for school closings! Also, Salisbury channel 16 or channel 2 for winter weather watch! You can also go online to WBOC.com for School Closings.
We the staff at the Montessori Country Day Academy wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year,
Peg Kling, Directress
Ms. Peg • Ms. Lacy
Ms. Ashton • Ms. Melissa • Ms. Sierra
Your Del State College Assistant Teachers!
Computer – Ms. Pam • Chinese – Ms. Ying Science – Ms. Bonnie • Music – Granny Frannie